Rubix Cube is Fucking Hard.
Awesome Song:
"Night on Fire" by VHS or Beta - sorta like that Killers song, only instead of trying to sound like it was made in the eighties, it actually
succeeds. Like the AMG put it, "like Robert Smith singing over Duran Duran samples." Download it. NOW. Or don't.
Good Movie:
Mother, Jugs, and Speed. This was kind of a strange movie. It was made in the seventies, and its about rival independent ambulance companies in L.A., starring Bill Cosby, Raquel Welch, and Harvey Keitel. I never thought I could ever mention those names in the same sentence. One cool thing about the movie is that when you hear the title, you (or at least
I) kind of joking say to yourself "Oh, it would be funny if the Jugs in the title referred to Raquel Welch." Well, guess what. It does. That's her nickname in the movie. But it only gets better. Like I said, this flick was made in the seventies, before Bill Cosby put the "Rich" back into "Black Family Sitcom," so he wasn't as "clean" as he was in the eighties. It's so weird to hear him call someone a son of a bitch. Weird, but awesome. All in all, for a completely random movie I saw on AMC this morning, it was actually pretty good (Incidentally, I also saw the end of a sixties secret agent movie starring
DEAN MARTIN. Fucking bizzare.).
I also saw
McCabe & Mrs. Miller this weekend. What a great movie. Vintage Robert Altman at his best. Roger Ebert described it as perfect, and I completely agree. Sorry I can't go into more detail, just rent it, if you like Altman, that is. If you don't, just stay away.
Really Fucking Cool and Inspirational Guy:
Brian Wilson. I will say this very succinctly: The guy is literally insane. Not like "Whoa! What a crazy guy! He's insane." No. I mean he's a damn paranoid schizophrenic with suicidal tendencies. And he's a fucking musical genius. He created some of the most beautiful pop music EVER with Pet Sounds, and he just did it again with the rerecording and actual release of
SMiLE, a project he first started in 1967 before going insane and holing up in his room, gaining weight and laying in bed for three fucking years. But now he's on medication, and he's just a normal guy, albeint one who's written "Good Vibrations." He just said this in a new Rolling Stone interview and I believe him: "It's hard work to be happy." I want to be him. No, I take that back. But I do want to play him, in like a made-for-TV biopic or something like that. That would be awesome.
"America's the new Texas: We'll kick your ass!"
-George W. Bush (or at least an impersonator)
|
M. "Awesome" at 4:07 PM