Holy Cow!
Chicago was pretty awesome. Their were a lot of homeless people, and my mother complained about them. I was thinking "It's a damn city. Of course there are homeless people." At least a lot of them tried to do something for money. One guy was opening doors for people at a Dunkin Donuts. We didn't give anyone any money. I would've, but I'm a cheap prick. The school was really, really cool, possibly more cool than NYU. I almost like Chicago better than New York, but I'm really not sure. They're different, and I can see myself in both of 'em. But distance.... I know I've said I do not want to go to school in NJ, and I don't really want to see Emerson again, and that's all true, but I will want to come back and see the plays and shit like that, perhaps taunt Veit. That would be fun. The coolest thing about Chi-town was the Art Institute. That place was mad artistic...or not. They had all the Impressionists there. Van Gogh, Manet, Monet, Gauguin, and others. I saw Seurat's A Sunday Afternoonon the Island of La Grande Jatte, and all those other paintings in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. A must when in Chicago.
In old business, I Heart Huckabees was the man. I must see it again. It's a movie that makes you think, in the least cliched sense, and it got me the closest I've ever been to believing in something. What's strange is when I think about it, I think mostly of a very strange coincedence that happened right after. But first, some backstory, in two parts. Part One(1): To amuse myself when I have nothing to do in a crowd, I will pick someone out, someone who stands out, and memorize everyhing about them. Not everything, but what they're wearing, strange things about them, etc. Part Two(2): I Heart Huckabees starts off where Jason Schwartzman's character goes to a pair of existential detectives to solve a coincedence for him, wherein he has seen the same man, who he had never met before, in three completely different places. Well, anyway, after the flick, I was in Palisades with my mother so we go to this smoothie stand she always goes to after we se movies at Palisades, where I see this girl who I saw before when she took the SATs with me in Oct. This is the girl I memorized, who I first noticed because she was wearing Lisa Loeb-type Granny glasses. Anyone wearing those is just asking to be noticed. She also had shoelaces in her hair, another good quality to qualify as standing out. And she was writing on her shoes. I know, it sounds quite stalkerish, but I do this all the time, and I haven't followed anyone yet. This was quite strange, espescially after coming out of a movie like Huckabees, and probably doesn't seem as strange to all of you. But what I keep mulling over is that that day, I asked my mother if she was gonna go get a smoothie, o if I hadn't have said anything, she might not have gone. That brings me back to the main teme in I Heart Huckabees, which is that verything Is The Same, Even When It's Different. Everything is connected in the fabric of time and space. We are all made of the same things, all woven of the same material. And time is only an illusion made up by man so that everything wouldn't seem like it's happening all at once. What I'm saying is, did I say that because I somehow knew that that girl was there and I wanted to see her, or am I analyzing everything way too much? I don't know. There is no way of knowing. But things like that can make the case for existentialism, which says that everything is connected. It's sort of like destiny, but that doesn't have an -ism next to it so it can't be a religion.
Boy, am I tired.
|
M. "Awesome" at 11:12 PM