26.1.05

"If you start out depressed everything's kind of a pleasant surprise."


The above quote is from the immortal Lloyd Dobler.

I was reading on a bud's blog about his first love, a childhood romance that was pure, with no concept of sex to ruin it. It was just two people who liked each other a lot (hope I'm interpreting this right). After reading this, two questions arose: (1) Is adult love, with all its sex and stuff, really better than this feeling you get as a little kid when you find someone who is both beautiful and really fun and cool to hang around with? and (2) Have I, Mike Frollo, stud, ever actually risen above this feeling?
First off, I feel I must say if there's anyone least qualified to talk about this kind of thing, it's me. I've never had a girlfriend, never even been on a date. And yet I'm a hopeless romantic (which, as I've pondered on many an occasion, may be just the reason I've never had a girlfriend). The last time I was in love and the feeling was mutual was in Pre-K. And I can't even remember if that was full-on love, either. And don't say that you can't really be in love when you're so young. If you feel something as an adult that you couldn't feel as a kid, it's not an emotion.
I know that when I see someone I'm attracted to, I don't think of myself having sex with them, or anything like that. I see myself just with them, talking in a restaurant, walking along the street, or just staying in and watching a flick. It's not that I'm some sort of immature man-child; I just don't think that sex is the end-all, be-all of human relationships. It can't be. If it was, we wouldn't be a monagomous society; we'd all just go around to everyone, searching for the best shag. But it seems like that sometimes when you're a teenager. I always thought that dating was sort of like a game where the goal is to find someone you love and want to be with the rest of your life. And that may be the case. But maybe the problem is that when I play a game, I play to win; I don't just dawdle around the board. There is a feeling you get when you are in contact with a person that you love, a sort of deep elation, I guess you could call it. That's how I always know I'm not lusting after someone. With lust, you don't get that feeling. And I think that that feeling is better than sex. I mean, it's got to be. Sex is great for about twenty seconds, a minute or three if you're lucky. But that feeling you get when you see the love of your life can last forever, if you find the right person. When you're in love, you can just be near that person and you're happy almost automatically. But don't listen to me; I don't know what I'm talking about.



|
M. "Awesome" at 12:44 AM

The Best Shit In the World

Movies


Sunset Blvd.



Music


The Dismemberment Plan - Change



Books


Spike, Mike, Slackers & Dykes by John Pierson



Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger